Branding is about the unique and personal experience your space creates for its visitors. In this post, Draw Your Target In to Explore Your Brand, guest blogger Kathryn (KC) Ha shares that her love and passion for the MASS MoCA and gives ways you can be inspired to create unique experiences for your customers that sets your business apart. This is part of our “Brands That Twist” series celebrating innovative brands. See more of these brands HERE . For more about Kathryn (KC) Ha, check out her bio below.
As an art lover, I frequent art museums wherever I go. While spending four years at Williams College (Williamstown, MA), I was sure to go to every museum in the area. Most of my favorite visits were to MASS MoCA, a contemporary art museum located in a neighboring town, North Adams, MA. I even found myself working in their Kidspace gallery last summer.
What I love most about MASS MoCA is the unique and personal experience it creates for its visitors. The museum immediately captures your attention and draws you into both its art and space.
Three ways that MASS MoCA puts a Twist on the traditional museum experience are:
- The physical space that houses MASS MoCA immediately captures your attention. The building has served as a textile factory and an electric plant. The radical change from electric factory to art museum gives way to the radical experience for visitors, more specifically children. They enter the building and are immediately drawn to the space and exploring it.
- The Kidspace gallery literally asks visitors to create their own art, influenced by the artworks in the gallery. For example, last summer the gallery had artwork involving monsters and an “art challenge” that asked the kids to create their own monster from a box of random materials they were given
- The seasonal outdoor exhibits, such as a sculpture of picnic tables, invite visitors to touch, climb and explore them.
The museum immediately creates an interactive experience with its visitors from the moment they arrive.
First impressions are always key in a relationship, especially when it comes to brands. MASS MoCA has conquered this task successfully.
Other brands can learn from them how to create a strong first impression through:
- Visual tools, such as color, shape, and symbols, to signal a unique experience to the people- from the moment they enter your brand experience or land on you web page
- Find ways to get people directly involved in your brand; perhaps through social media or even old-fashioned suggestion boxes.
- The ability to surprise and delight your target by altering their point of view, such as using picnic tables as art (and not just traditional seating)
MASS MoCA has created a unique, unforgettable brand experience through its ability to invite visitors to want to learn more and spur curiosity from the moment they enter the parking lot. It is key for any brand to immediately captivate their target, to stand out from other brands, and create a deep connection with the public.
About the author:
Kathryn (KC) Ha is a recent graduate from Williams College (Williamstown, MA) where she majored in art history and achieved the NCAA All-American honor for swimming all four years. She is interested in a career in marketing/advertising. She will be traveling around Europe for July, but may be reached for job opportunities at firstname.lastname@example.org
If you are interested in being a BrandTwist guest blogger, please email email@example.com for details.
Learn how to spice up your brand’s experience. Brand School, our highly effective, premier branding program, will give you tools to innovate your business and enrich your customer’s experience. Receive more information about Brand School’s next session and get free brand-building tools and tips when you join our mailing list.
“Results came amazingly quick. Now, my brand name speaks my message immediately and I’ve expanded my reach.” – Lynn Stull, Owner Arts2Thrive